Engineering and hydraulic design, optimization, and investigation problems can often benefit from efficient and custom numerical modelling via computational fluid dynamics (CFD). The value from such numerical modelling is only as good as the understanding of the model inputs and outputs, as well as the initial purpose, scope, and objective(s).
HydraTek has significant theoretical and practical experience in selecting and applying a range of commercial and custom CFD models for the analysis of hydraulic systems and components, including:
- 2D or 3D applications and single or multiphase systems
- Design and optimization of hydraulic structures such as vortex drops, baffles, stilling basins, manholes, intakes, spillways, flip buckets, shuts, etc.
- Evaluation of performance and sediment transport across fluid conveyance systems, including tunnels, sewers, channels, outfalls, etc.
- Water quality and flow/velocity distribution based optimization and design of storage elements, including reservoirs, elevated tanks, wet wells, sumps, ponds, etc.
- Optimization and evaluation of pump and pump station performance, including intake piping, cavitation, turbulence, flow proifles (swirls and vortices), etc.
- Evaluation of local scouring of hydraulic structures in natural water systems
- Optimizaiton of hydraulic design for transition from/to open channel and pressurized flow, including forcemain outlets, hydraulic jumps, etc.
- Simulation of thermal gradients in hydraulic systems
- Evaluation and optimization of mixing perfomrance in water and wastewater processeses, including digesters, clarifiers, etc.
- Forensic based hydraulic investigations and physical model pre-evaluation