Reducing Municipal Water Loss and
Energy Consumption through Pressure Management
With primary sponsorship from the IESO Grid Innovation Fund, HydraTek is conducting a multi-year study which involves the development and deployment of a Mobile DMA Testing Unit for the accurate and reliable measurement of Minimum Night Flow (MNF) into District Metered Areas (DMAs) as well to directly test the impact of reduced pressures on flow and leakage rates.
Testing will be conducted for 20 sites across Ontario and the results will be used to identify DMAs that are performing well or poorly as well as to derive benchmarking statistics.
YouTube video describing Mobile DMA Testing Unit
This project was made possible through the financial support of the Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO). The financial contribution from the National Research Council (NRC) Industrial Research Assistance Program is gratefully acknowledged.
Municipalities Wanted! Although this project’s 20 test sites have now been fully allocated, there may still be room for more municipalities to participate. If you are interested in learning more, contact us!
- HydraTek & Associates (2021) Reducing Municipal Water Loss and Energy Consumption through Pressure Management (Final Report).
- Jenks, B. (2021) Evidence-Based Water Loss Management: A Novel Approach to Data Collection and Performance Benchmarking in Ontario, Canada. M.A.Sc. Thesis, Department of Civil and Mineral Engineering, University of Toronto.
- Jenks. B., Papa, F. (2020) Leakage Reduction: Water loss management project helps reduce energy consumption associated with leakage, Water Canada, March/April 2020.
- Jenks, B., Papa, F. (2020) Mobile District Metered Area Testing Helps Cut Watermain Leak Losses, Environmental Science & Engineering Magazine, February 2020.
- Jenks, B., Papa, F. (2019) Evidence-Based Water Loss Management: Development and Deployment of a Mobile Testing Unit. Ontario Pipeline Magazine, OWWA, Winter 2019.
- Papa, F., Jenks, B. (2019) Municipalities Wanted for New Water Loss Testing Project. Environmental Science & Engineering Magazine, April 2019.
- Wyatt, Alan. The Attributes of the Combined Real Loss Indicator – CRLI. IWA Water Loss 2020. 10 November 2020. See pages 1, 22 & 29.
Video recording of presentation.
- Chastain-Howley, Andrew. Monte Carlo-based Leakage Analysis. IWA Water Loss 2020. November 2020. See page 3.
Video recording of presentation.
- York Region 2019 Long Term Water Conservation Strategy Annual Report, dated March 2020. See pages 15-16.
- Canadian Society for Civil Engineering (CSCE) Annual Conference, Niagara Falls (ON, Canada), May 2021.
- Ontario’s Water Conference & Trade Show, Blue Mountain Resort (ON, Canada), 03-05 May 2021.
- PEO York Chapter Engineering Research Project of the Year Award, 27 February 2021. Finalist Presentation.
- AWWA Virtual Summit: Water Quality Infrastructure, 08-10 December 2020. On-Demand Recording.
- OMWA On The Job Training Session, Virtual Workshop, 12 November 2020. Presentation.
- BCWWA Virtual Conference & Trade Show, 03-04 November 2020. Presentation.
- IWA Water Loss Specialist Group Webinar Series, 25 May 2020. Presentation. Video Recording.
- North American Water Loss Conference, Nashville (TN, USA), 03-05 December 2019. Presentation 1. Presentation 2.
- CWWA National Water and Wastewater Conference (NWWC), Banff (AB, Canada), 03-06 November 2019. Presentation.
- OWWA Fall Water Efficiency Workshop, Kitchener (ON, Canada), 24 October 2019. Presentation.
- ACWWA Annual Conference, Halifax (NS, Canada), 06-08 October 2019. Presentation.
- Ontario’s Water Conference & Trade Show, Ottawa (ON, Canada), 06-08 May 2019. Presentation. Poster.